Sunday, November 28, 2010

I could make cuppies in 6 hours... right?

I received this frantic call from my sis-in-law in wee hours yesterday morning (...there goes my beauty sleep...!).

She suddenly realised that of all things, she had forgotten to order cupcakes for her younger sister's graduation celebration which takes place in the afternoon. And, yes.... she rang and hoping that I can fulfill this 'Bidan Terjun' thingy for her (*LoL*). She said she will swing by my house at 3:00pm, to pick up the cuppies, on her way to UiTM.

I could make cuppies in 6 hours, right? What was I thinking?

Luckily, my kitchen has the makings for cupcakes at all times. I decided on a simple vanilla cuppies with 'a frosting'... at that time of baking-yet to be determined.

Cupcakes in the oven... now what type of frosting should I make to go with that vanilla cuppies? A simple Vanila Buttercream? Vanila Bean? Salted Caramel? Oh the possibilities! I have been known to stay up all hours of the night to perfect my buttercream recipe... and I have a lot of wonderful frostings in my repertoire, many of which include whipped egg whites, caramelised sugar, etc... (these take a lot of time to prepare... *sigh*)

But no, not today. Since all those frosting takes time to prepare...so, I opted for the easiest frosting ever - simple buttercream.

...simple buttercream toppings - no time to do that fondant 'mortar board and scroll' thingy...

Cream 1 stick of butter. Add powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency (about 2-3 cups). Add a spash of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. TA-DA... you have buttercream frosting. I had some heavy cream, left over from making white pasta sauce, so I whipped that and folded it into the butercream (why not at this point?). . Somehow, against all odds, the frostings turned out to be delicious.

My sis-in-law came, she was excited, she loved them. I also knew that my sis-in-law will be coming with her three wonderfuld kids, so I made few extras for them. Those little darlings.... :)

He Sis, next time no last minute request OK - baking is not meant to be done on a whim..! ...yes....muuaah.... I Love You Too Sis...!

No comments: