Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chewy-Double-Chocolate Chunk Cookies...

What a quiet day!

My other half is away and my daughter, Nalubega, who just got home from boarding school, has been 'hiding' in her bedroom, engrossed with FaceBook and what-not that she can't seem to tear herself away from. The house feels so empty and it is extremely quiet. Usually both of them are in and out of the house doing stuff. I often wish I had a litlle time to myself and a little peace and quiet and now that I have it, I'm going out of my mind and missing everyone like crazy.
Be careful what you wish for and you might just get it...!

I was going stir crazy with nothing to do so I thought to myself why not get in the kitchen and bake some of my households favourite treats...
... COOKIES...! Yes, chocolate cookies...!
They love choc-cookies, especially the kind you can dunk in a huge glass of cold milk..!

I'd forgotten how thick the cookie batter is, I got an upper body to work out (definately need it with all the goodies I've been eating lately..!). folding in the chocolate chunks. The cookies are over-sized and they spread when baked, be sure to leave at least 2 inches between them. I slightly under cook these cookies to ensure I get that perfect chewy texture.
Have to devide the dough into two parts ....
...one part with White Chocolate..
...and the other half just plain choc-chunks and topped with choc-chips..

Time to indulge in a tall glass of cold milk and one...
...No... maybe two warm, chewy-double-chocolate-chunk cookies.

Sharing the recipe:
CHEWY-DOUBLE-CHOCOLATE-CHUNK COOKIES
1 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Dutch process Cocoa Powder
1/2 tspn Baking Soda
1/2 tspn salt
1 cup good quality milk chocolate (chopped into chunks)
1/2 cup ulsalted Butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn Vanilla essence

Pre-heat oven to 325 deg.
Sift: Flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in to a medium size bowl - set aside.
Melt 1/2 cup of the chopped chocolate with butter in a small heat proof bowl using 'double-boil' method - set aside and let cool slightly.
While waiting for chocolate to melt, beat sugar, eggs and vanila until fluffly and add the chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour mixture.
Using a large spatula, fold in the remaining 1/2 chocolate chunks.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice-cream scoop, drop the dough onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
Bake until cookes are flat and surfaces crack, about 15 mins (cookies should be soft - DO NOT over bake..!).
Let cool on the baking sheet on wire racks.

Cookies can be stored beween layers of baking sheet in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

NOTE: This, doesn't apply to my house as I have 'Cookie Monsters' at home.
Choc-Cookies only last... max 24 hrs..!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend... !

No comments: