Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hydrangea Cupcakes...

My Doctor advised me to take a good long proper and quality rest before continuing with my 'baking activities', well what do you know.... I am just as 'degil' as my daughter...!

Anyway, the hydrangea bushes are in full bloom in my garden right now... which gave me an inspiration to bake...!
I love all varieties of hydrangeas, but my favorite is this traditional shaped, blue-purple color. I picked a few this weekend and brought them inside as inspiration for my cupcakes.
I've seen cupcakes that resembled hydrangea flowers before, but I've never given it a try. It was much easier than I'd imagined and I was very happy with the results!

The Malay called it 'Bunga Kembang 3-Bulan" because it will blooms for three months...

Hydrangea Cupcakes

I made a batch of my favorite chocolate cupcakes and my vanilla cream cheese frosting. Then I colored half of the frosting blue, and half purple (mixing a few shades of blues and purples to get a good color match to the real hydrangeas). You need the frosting to be pretty stiff to hold a nice shape.
If you'd like to match other hydrangeas, you could certainly use other color options, like light blue and medium blue, or two shades of pink.
Now I want to plan a pretty tea party just so I can make these again!

No comments: