Thursday, May 10, 2012

Asparagus and Shitake Mushroom Claypot Rice

I haven't had much  time cooking in my favourite clay pot for the past 4 months.  Two days ago, when I was at the Malaysian International Tourism Blogger Awards, my friend told me that I should be sharing more everyday home cook recipes on my blog —meaning homey recipes that can be served on a constant basis. Truth be told, I cook and eat mostly everyday dishes at home. I mean, blog aside, most of the recipes I make are simple, humble, everyday dishes that you will want to eat over and over again, without ever getting bored. This Asparagus and Shitake Mushroom Claypot Rice is one of them. I don’t know why it has taken me this long to share this wonderful recipe; I guess the notion that it is not that visually appealing is the main reason.

Be rest assured, even though I am lazy, I never sacrifice taste or authenticity when it comes to my cooking...*wink-wink*


Clay Pot Rice with Shitake Mushroom and Asparagus


Ingredients:
3 cups Basmathi rice
8 pieces boneless chicken breast, thigh or wings, cut into bite-sized cubes
8 dried shitake mushrooms (I boiled about 20 mins, keep the water to boil the rice)
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
3-inches knob of  peeled ginger, cut into slices
2 cups water (from the boiled mushroom)
2 stalks scallions, cut into 1/2 inch lengths
10 stalks of Asparagus (you can use Broccoli if you like)
1 teaspoon grounded black pepper
Salt to taste

Marinade:
1/2 tablespoon Dark soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon corn starch

Sauce:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes white pepper
A few drops dark soy sauce, optional, for coloring purposes

Method:
Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes. Mix all the ingredients in the Sauce in a small bowl, set aside. Boil  the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes or until softened.  Remove the stems and slice the mushrooms(I sliced the mushrooms 'coz my household does'nt like to see whole mushroom in a pot or on their plate!).

Heat up the clay pot with the oil. Add in ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add rice and stir until it becomes translucent then add the chicken into the clay pot and stir for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and do a few quick stirs. Pour in the sauce, stir to combine well. Add water (from the boiled mushroom) and lower the heat to low. Cover the clay pot and let cook and simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer with the lid on. After 10 to 12 minutes, when the rice has absorbed most of the water (as indicated by lack of water bubbles), add asparagus and allow it to steam in the rice for 3 to 5 minutes, then turn off heat. Add scallions, stir for a few times and the Asparagus with Mushroom Claypot Rice is now ready to serve. If it’s not salty enough, add a little salt to taste.

Enjoy...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wahhhhh bestnyer....look soo yummy...must try nie...thanks for sharing kak nita

ZAR