Monday, August 16, 2010

Steamed Kek Sarang Semut @ Honey Comb Cake

Easy to make...!
Cake should look like a honeycomb when cut.
Is very tasty.
Something different...!
Try it!!
Texture of this cake is light, 'holey' and chewy.
The english name of this cake-Honey Comb Cake-comes from the chemical reaction of baking soda in the recipe which results in that texture. The Malay name-'Kek Sarang Semut' means ant's nest or something? (apologize for the limited knowledge of my malay language.)

I have had this cake many, many, years ago.. gosh.. I cant remember when..! but have never made it myself. This recipe has been in my 'to try' file for a long time... and now it's not!

You want to know why..????
Because the day my friend Dali, send over this cake to my house (for my birthday..! :P) ... I immediately 'fall in love' with this cake... again!
Credit to my dear friend, Dali, for willing to share her Grandmother's recipe with me..
I hope she does'nt mind me sharing her recipe with you all...

KEK SARANG SEMUT @ HONEY COMB CAKE
2 cups Granulated Sugar
2 cups Water
3 tbspn Butter
7 Eggs
1 can Condensed Milk
2 cups Flour
1 tbs Soda Bicarbonate
1 tbsp Vanilla

Instructions:
To make ahead:
1. Heat sugar in a heavy bottom pan till melts and turns into amber color liquid in slow heat. Add water slowly stirring till caramel dissolves. Carefully add water to the caramelized sugar as it will splatter-trust me, it hurts! Keep stirring till all the crystalized sugar becomes syrupy. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir till butter melts. Set aside to cool.
2. Beat eggs till 'kembang' and fluffy. Add the cool sugar syrup and condensed milk - beat well
3. Sift flour and soda bicarbonate twice. Slowly add sifted flour into the egg/syrup and beat well to mix. Add vanilla.
4. Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture. Cover with aluminium foil.
5. Make sure steamer is continously steaming before you put in the pan.
6. Steam for 1 1/2 hrs, checking water level periodically.

Check piercing a skewer in the center and it should come out clean......confirms that cake is done...!

Note to Dali (if you are reading this): I have been making this cake three days in a row ever since you gave me this recipe... all the family love it. Thank you..!

No comments: