Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scones?..Buttermilk Biscuits?.. Whatever..!


Whether they're scoffed as everyday comfort food or savoured as upper-crust afternoon delights, scones as the Brits called it or buttermilk biscuits by the Americans, seem to hit the spot for just about everyone in my household tonight (everyone..?...well, theres only two of us..!).

I have never made scones before (or at least never remember making scones before), and I've never been a big fan of eating them either..! I always found them so dry and crumbly that I just assumed some devious Scottish cafe owner somewhere in England invented them to increase sales, since most of the scones that I've tried in Europe, take about five cups of coffee to wash down.

Then I thought, maybe I've just never had a really good one.
And since I'd never made them before I decided to just make a plain, very traditional version to start of with, I figured I'd get the basic recipe down before trying anything crazy...!

(aaahh...fresh from the oven...)

Buttermilk biscuits or scones are not so much a recipe, as they are mythology. Secret knowledge passed down from generation to generation, mother to child, blogger to people like you.

(... all piled up...)

This deceptively simple recipe can come out a million different ways with some very minor variation on the ingredients and amounts.

I think this is a recipe where you need to practice to really get a feel.
Once you do, you can refine the formula to achieve your ultimate buttermilk biscuits/scones. (well, well... look who's talking..!)
Viola...! My very own homemade scones..or..buttermilk biscuits..or..whatever!

Anyone who makes the recipe below is encouraged to chime in...

Enjoy...!


SCONES @ BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour (extra for dusting)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon caster sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted cold butter
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
(if you don't have buttermilk, substitute with:
3/4 cup milk add 1 tablespoon apple cider or vinegar. Leave for 5 mins to culdle)

Method:
Sieve flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar.
Rub in cold butter until dry ingredients become crumbly.
Add buttermilk. Using end of fork mix the dough.
Work quickly into a dough on a floured surface - do not knead
Flatten dough out to 3/4 incs thick
Cut dough using round biscuit cutter and brush top with buttermilk.
Bake 250 deg oven, for about 15 mins or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and place on a wire rack

Serve with butter or jam and whipped cream.

Makes about 12 biscuits

2 comments:

A Malaysian Shadowhunter said...

sedapnye....

mummy-who-cooks said...

Nanti Dilla cuba buat kat rumah ye. Any queries, call M/lang.